Wednesday, June 3, 2009

hard questions

bad things happening to good people is just so hard to understand. maybe impossible. several months ago i read "The Shack" in hopes of being enlightened on this very issue in a spiritual sense. i certainly got a lot out of the book and found it an amazing a unique way to look at God. and how humans and one-size fits all religion has done a really good job of turning people away from God for good reason. the book does address the topic of bad things happening, but i did not get a good enough answer that i can wrap my brain around. especially when it comes to something like cancer. it is so so unfair. and heart-breaking and ruthless. and recently, has been all too prevalent.

my friend and former colleague from Wilson just passed away from cancer Sunday. she was a strong and beautiful and funny and confident woman and mother of three. she was a selfless person who genuinely cared about everything about my life. she was so fun to be around. she won her first battle with breast cancer more than 2 years ago. it came back in her bones and quickly spread. megan, i know i told you often how you inspired me and we had many conversations about your strengths and weaknesses in your battle. you are amazing and i miss you.

this photo is megan and her husband, chris, at our wedding. she was rockin' one of her fabulous wigs!



i am sorry for the downer, but it was on my heart and the least i could do is honor the beautiful person she was. Keep her family in your thoughts and prayers if you think about it. Her kids are Kyle, Patrick and Kate (the baby girl who is 4).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh sweetie,I am so so very sorry. You posed that belief dilemma quite well. Comes right down to it, life just isn't always fair and it sucks quite frankly. Maybe this is to encourage us to live the best and most fulfilled life we can while we are here on this earth and not to take anything for granted. Yes, sounds like a good rule to live by but it still is awful to lose the ones you love.

Hugs and prayers...Stalker Mom xoxoxo

mike and kirstin said...

i'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend megan. you will just have to keep her in your heart and remember her as the wonderful person you make her out to be! love you, kirstin

Derek and Kelsey said...

Aw, Whit.. I am so sorry :( Like you said, the Shack has some interesting insight to the phrase "things happen for a reason". We never know the reasoning behind it, but who knows - maybe her purpose was to be that inspiring delightful person despite the fact that she was suffering. Makes all of us take a step back and think, how can we be so negative when we have so much to be thankful for. When someone so sick can stay so positive. Hang in there sis, love you.

...Crystal... said...

Oh my gosh! I just got the chills and tears in my eyes. I did not know the cancer had come back. Megan was awesome! I loved her! I'm glad you posted this so I can pray for her family--poor kids, that just breaks my heart.

Christine said...

I'm so sorry... It's hard to imagine the "why" in the midst of something like this. I lost a student last year and felt the same way...loves and hugs to you, whit
Christine

Melissa Abby said...

So hard to understand! Thanks for sharing the "hard" things Whit, love ya!