Friday, September 5, 2008

a new season

well, summer is officially over and i was sad to see it go. we are getting back into the swing of things at work, and the first week back was pretty good all things considered! i have some GREAT kids, only a small handful of knuckleheads so far (compared to like 7 big handfuls of knuckleheads last year!!) the only bad thing is HUGE class sizes in 8th grade. we are supposed to stay with a 25-1 ratio, and my average class sizes are 34 kids. 8th graders are BIG to begin with and they barely all fit in my room!!! plus, it is about 114 degrees in my room by the afternoon, really bad combo.

matt is teaching 8th grade this year too (last year he only taught 6/7) so we share a bunch of kids. we are in this little war, with the kids as the messengers. for example, a couple kids come to class on the first day of school and say "Mrs. Harvey, Mr. Harvey says you can't cook!!!!" Real funny, Matthew. and the kids laugh. and i laugh. So I tell them all to check their schedules and if they have 2 harvey's on their schedule then i feel bad for them. and they laugh. the kids think it is pretty darn funny :)

as for summer, we checked so many fun things off our to do list! the only two things on the list that didn't happen this summer were: going to the beach (i know! can you believe we didn't go to the beach at all!!! crazy!) and me making a wedding album. I still want to, I just didn't have the energy at the end of the summer. some day.

i am SOOOO excited because we are getting built in closets installed (that we designed!!!!) on 9/16, which also happens to be my birthday! happy birthday to me!!!!! i seriously cannot wait. i will take before and after pics to post. oh, i can't wait!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys are starting out with some good kids.
Most of all glad you guys have your jobs to return to!
Best of luck to you both this year.

Love,
Stalker Mom ;o)

Melissa Abby said...

I love that you guys get to work together, how fun!!

Kelli Henderson said...

I'm so glad you guys have jobs to return to this Fall! and so glad you've only got a few "knuckleheads"...but cannot believe how many are in each class! And I bet that last one with the 114 degrees is a real scorcher...and a stinker..hope they are old enough to know to wear deodorant!! :)
good luck this year!!