Wednesday, February 13, 2008

ego-smasher

So I (Whitney, that is...who else writes in this thing) just got home from the 2nd night of soccer try-outs. I have 19 girls trying out and 15 spots on my team (not to mention this is AFTER they already haven't made the A team, I coach the B team). Now, I have never been stellar in math, but even I can do that mental math...which tells me I have to make some cuts. For those of you who don't know, I have been coaching a club soccer team for the past year in Rancho Penesquitos, in the club PQ Premier. I had a great time, but club is a bit crazy. It is a HUGE time committment for me and my players, families are super involved monetarily and time-wise. I coached U-11 girls last year and and staying with them for U-12 this year. Well, I should say MOST of them are staying with me because I have to make cuts. It seriously felt like a little family last year, all year. I swear some weekends I saw my team (players and parents) more than I saw Matt! I am currently in the misdt of a horrible painstaking moral dilemma. My job is to make the best, most competitive team possible...that's the nature of club. The sad part is, I mean the REALLY HARD part is having to cut girls who played for me last year. I feel so bad and dread this weekend when I have to make phone calls. I don't enjoy smashing sweet little 11 year old girl's egos who just don't happen to be good enough for my team this year. I think I should coach REC next year.

1 comment:

Melissa Abby said...

Ahhhh Whit! Good luck making your decision, praying it isn't too tough and the girls take it ok.