Wednesday, April 22, 2009

CST Testing...

BLEH! boring!

i have to admit, i do like the peace and quiet...but there is only so much productive work i can get done that is quiet, while getting up every few minutes to "actively proctor." good thing too, because my last circle around the room, i realized one of my students was in the complete wrong section of his answer document. good thing i was actively proctoring. i would look like the idiot who wasn't paying attention if i didn't catch it!

anyway, i'm going to stand on my soap box for a minute. because i can. it is so ridiculous how testing is regarded as the end all be all determining factor in our students' and school's performance. have you ever seen the test? it infuriates me. it is written in confusing language with twisted questions. as i look over their shoulders at the various questions, i just want to help them...because i know they know the content being asked, it just needs clarification. too bad i signed an affidavit saying i will give up my first born if i don't follow all the rules. and helping kids succeed on this test is breaking a rule.

once again, our school (and our teachers) will be judged based on these results and we can only hope we show improvement to last year and grow in our number of points. nevermind all the poor second language students who are new to the country. nevermind our struggling students who are many levels below grade level. i should just be used to it by now, this is my 6th year in this district. however, i think it is dangerous to just sit back and say "oh well." what's the balance? is me as a teacher knowing in my heart how many gains my students have made enough? screw the rest of them? i can't change the current system, so why bother getting worked up about it?

we are supposed to be miracle workers here! ok, stepping down now (off my soap box) if you are still with me, thanks for listening! :)

anyway...this is the downhill slope of the year. we have 7 weeks of school left after this week. crazy! i am pretty sure this year is my best group of students ever. i will sure miss them....but i will also sure welcome summer with open arms!!!

3 comments:

Melissa Abby said...

Seriously, frustrating! When I taught high school, by the time they get there they know it doesn't count and they are so over it I had students seriously fill in one letter for every answer and go to sleep. And it is so confusing! We would go through old tests in the math dept. to put together review stuff and there were questions that took me so long to figure out. I feel bad because they get frustrated on a couple problems and then give up. Yuck! But it does always signal the year winding down :)

Christine said...

I agree with you on testing! It is definitely not a fair way to judge students or the teachers!! Especially the teachers! However, I really enjoyed testing!!!!!! Time to grade papers, stare off into space, text message...awe, thinking of it makes me feel relaxed. haha

Anonymous said...

"soap box" is good thing...also helps us shorter people get things from the top shelf!! (your father-in-law tells me this a lot!)
You have such a BIG heart which shows you do care.
Just don't stop caring in spite of the uphill battle.

Hugs,
Stalker Mom xoxoxo