Monday, April 13, 2009

job update

we have them next year, and we are thankful!

matt is continuing to loop with his students, which he loves. this year he has 6th and 8th graders, and next year he will have 6th and 7th graders.

i taught 6th grade for the first 4 years of my career, have taught 8th grade for the past 2 years, and will be going back to 6th grade next year. *sigh*

In short, the study skills class I have been teaching is being eliminated due to budget constraints and a master schedule change for next year. I really enjoy 8th graders. I don't have the right credential to teach a core class at the 8th grade level. [It's ironic that I could teach at a junior college with my MA degree, but not "highly qualified" to teach 7th-12th grade English]

I am thankful I get to stay at Roosevelt and there is a job for me there. I am thankful Roosevelt is one mile from our front door. I am thankful that I already know the curriculum for 6th grade English and History.

I am not so thankful that I don't get to teach 8th graders next year. I am also not so thankful that I have to move classrooms (ugh.) and give up my huge room that I scored this year. (6th graders are isolated in their own little bubble, away from the big bad 7th/8th graders.) Maybe that's because they are so little and immature and wimpy. Oh sorry, I got carried away. I am still trying to be okay with going back down to this grade level :)

To end on a positive note, we only have 9 weeks left of school including this week! crazy!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very relieved to hear about jobs for you guys next year. (whew...) I also really LOVE your new design with all the little birdies in the trees...springy time!
Remember to feed them everyday!! hah!

Neat picture of you and Matt at the tree with the "kids"

Hugs to you all!
Stalker Mom xoxoxoxoxo

Kimberly Smith said...

love the new background...guess I can change mine from yellow now huh?

So happy for you that you have a job next year, might not be the one you want, but unlike thousands out there I know you're greatful to even have a job!

You'll just have to make those 6ers as cools as the 8's :)

loves!

The Olson Family said...

Whit, so happy for you and Matt. God is good and He always has a way of working things out for the good. I bet He has some AWESOME things in store for you next year and you will touch a lot of lives you might not have had the opportunity to if not for the change. Love you guys!

...Crystal... said...

Where did you find the birds? So dang cute! So glad you guys have your jobs, but so sorry you have to change grade levels and rooms--that's the worst! xoxo