Saturday, January 31, 2009

survey says...

Our blog (why do I even say "our"...some distant hope that Matt would one day post something himself?) says "welcome to our newlywed life...etc" and I got to thinking...are we still newlyweds? How long are you a newlywed? -not that it matters, just curiosity about that weird term.

So I asked Matt this question: "do you think we are still newlyweds?" and his first response was, "I don't know, why?" in true Matt fashion. Then I told him where my thought process started and asked him the question again.

[long pause]

"Whatever you say, dear. Whatever makes you happy."

I busted up laughing because his answer was so ridiculous. Basically, that was the easy way out because he didn't care :)

Then I was thinking...okay...now that sounds like an old married couple of like 50 years, where the husband just always answers, "whatever you say dear" to make things easy. I can live with that. I like the sounds of "whatever you say, dear" although I would rather have honest opinions, unless of course it is something I really want to call the shot on :)

my verdict...not newlyweds. But that's okay by me. We might be considered newlyweds by other standards. I knew Matt very well when we got married, but there is something to be said for time spent in the daily grind known as real life. You know each other so much deeper and love them so much more, despite the things they do that drive you crazy.

I am married to my best friend and sure hope I feel the same in 48 more years and beyond. And I'll leave our little saying on the blog until I am creatively inspired by something new.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Matt...you are going to make a great old man using those "safe" answers! Some "opinions" say you're still a newly wed til the first year and some 2 years and some say when you start having kids. Have you heard this one? "Opinions are like _ _ _holes...every one has one. Just "be" whatever suits you guys! (Now that is a definite opinion!!!)

Love you "newly weds"!
Stalker Mom xoxoxo

Kimberly Smith said...

oh matthew...(monopoly whore)
david always responds, "a happy wife is a happy life"

i've heard it two ways...
you're a newly wed your first year of marriage
and
you're a newly wed until you start a family and have kiddies running all around.
then as they say the honeymoon is officially over!

so you pick!
love you GG