Tuesday, March 3, 2009

they didn't teach me this...

so i get a call from a student tonight (VERY few students have my cell number) who's mom asked her to call me. mom (and family) need some advice and decide to call me. i am so glad my student feels comfortable enough to come to me, but feel awful the mom is this desperate for help.

my student's older sister (16) has run away...again. they haven't seen her since saturday and she took all her stuff. the mom has no control over the older girl and my sweet wonderful student is scared and mad, because her mom is crying so much. do they call the police to report her run-away? of course, that seems like the obvious right thing to do, if only it were that easy. the run-away sister is undocumented (no papers...no social security card) and will be sent to TJ if she is causing problems involving the police.

yes i have my MA degree in Education and no, i don't know how to handle something like this. i talked with matt about it, and then gave mom lots of options including suggesting she go to San Diego High tomorrow and see if her daughter is showing up at school. I told her to go to the school police to report the run away and seek additional help. Kids around here "run away" and return home from time to time, and it doesn't really get anyone worked up. I also told her she should probably just call the police and the daughter will have to learn the hard way that children don't decide whether or not they are coming home at night.

my student, now the oldest in the house with her sister gone for now, is left at home to take care of 3 younger siblings while mom is busting her chops working like crazy.

i can't imagine. sorry to be debbie downer but it's real life for me today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you handled that very well. Teaching doesn't always come from a book I guess but it just reminded me that you get to deal with the student from a lot of angles. That has to be draining sometimes.

Take care!
Stalker Mom xoxoxo

JLAF said...

whoa girl. may God give you wisdom. and peace to your student's fam. :(