Wednesday, July 29, 2009

158 bpm

a heartbeat. the undeniable signal of life. a beautiful miracle!

today, we go to hear our sweet babe's heart beating fiercely a mile a minute! it was going 158 beats/minute! (which matt made sure was totally normal by asking our doc what "normal" is)

i can't quite explain it, but i will try. this ride called pregnancy has been a series of stages-both mental and physical.

first, i saw the POSITIVE on the stick i just peed on and could hardly believe it was true! it really did take a few days for the thought alone to sink in.

over the next few weeks, i convinced myself to believe i was actually pregnant. (and the ridiculously sore boobs for weeeeeeks on end helped me believe it.)

then after what seemed like an eternity, we finally get to go to the doctor for an ulrasound at 9 weeks! this was unreal to actually SEE with our own eyes a tiny human inside me. we also got to see the heartbeat...which was a little flicker on the screen going really fast! i cried.

and now today...4 weeks later and back at the doc (13 weeks now), we got to hear the heartbeat for the first time. incredible. we knew it was beating all along and we know we are growing a baby, but something about that audible reminder of life in there was absolutely amazing! at that moment, i felt a connection to this little being, and i felt like i can't wait to meet him or her.

we also got to meet our OB today, dr. goldstein. I love my nurse practitioner, but was very excited and anxious to meet our doc today! he came by great recommendation by my friend joy olson, and now i see why. he delivered baby olson by chance because he was on-call and joy said he was amazing...especially because their little guy had a tough entrance into the world. dr. goldstein is older and has probably delivered a bazillion babies! he was so nice and caring and made us feel like he had all the time in the world for us. thank you so much joy for having titus when you did so dr. G could be our guy, too! :)

oh yeah, and somewhere in that time frame above, my pants started getting tight and uncomfortable. but somehow i lost one pound in the last 4 weeks? weird.

that's all for now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

a parent's whisper to that little "someone" laying in wait...

I loved you from the very start,
You stole my breath, embraced my heart.
Our life together has just begun,
You're part of me my little one.

and Grandma Rochin can hardly wait!
xoxoxoxo :o)

Anne said...

So awesome. And for those of us who like to guess gender based on heart rate, your baby is one of those borderline BPMs that could go either way! The old wives' tale is that anything over 160 is a girl and anything under 150 is a boy. Of course yours is right in the middle :) Hey, you should do the www.expectnet.com guessing game so we can guess gender, birthday, etc!!!

Derek and Kelsey said...

Aw Whit! I love it!!! So excited for you guys, and I cant wait to see you and celebrate in person! I love it! I'm so happy for you! Its only going to get better! :) Xoxo